Samuel Eto’o: I have no regrets over the Cameroon player strike

  The Indomitable Lions skipper says he has no regrets over last month’s boycott of a friendly against Algeria which resulted in a 15-match ban imposed on him by the nation’s FA

Samuel Eto'o (Getty Images)

After refusing to appeal the Cameroon Football Federation (Fecafoot) disciplinary committee ruling which handed him a 15-match ban, Samuel Eto’o now says he has no regrets over the strike action that led to his suspension.

“We do not regret our action, we wanted to make it clear that things could not continue as before,” Eto’o told Cameroonian television on Wednesday.

“We seized the opportunity to try to bring about solutions to Cameroonian football.”

Eto’o had told reporters Cameroonians would soon hear the “whole truth of the matter” moments after the committee’s hearing on December 12.

The Anzhi forward also said the match bonus row from the LG Cup they won in early November in Morocco was not the only reason for the strike action, but that the players were unhappy with the body over a number of issues.

“It is difficult to explain why officials would prefer to fly players eight hours just to go and train elsewhere when it can be done in the country,” Eto’o said.

If the sanction stands, the four-time African Footballer of the Year will likely miss Cameroon’s qualifying campaign for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations and the 2014 World Cup.

Eto’s also called on local fans to abstain from planned protests against the Fecafoot decision.

GOAL.COM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s